Writer's Workshop time!
Today I chose the prompt How did your love affair with Coffee begin? (Or Diet Coke or Tea or whatever your beverage of choice might be.)
When I was little, Shaq Lovin' Grandma would drink this water stuff out of a green, glass bottle.
(source)
That was in 1985. I was 3. The bottle has not changed. At all. Seriously.
Anyways, for Christmas that year (yes, we're still in 1985), Shaq Lovin' Grandma and her partner bought my brother and I these small cups shaped like oranges that had straws that came out the top.
In fact, this is the exact cup. Thanks Google!
My mother hated that Shaq Lovin' Grandma drank this stuff all the time, and wouldn't let me have any. So, on Christmas when my mom wasn't looking, Shaq Lovin' Grandma took my new orange cup and filled it with Perrier, and my life was CHANGED. It was seriously love at first sip. She also gave some to my younger brother, Justin, but he didn't like it. But I couldn't get enough. It was the best water I'd ever had. Plain, but fizzy. No sweetness. Nothing special added. SO GOOD. When my mother found out that Shaq Lovin' Grandma had corrupted my new orange cup, she wasn't happy. She thought it would lead me to a life of sweets. But, I was 3 1/2. I think my age was going to lead me to a life of sweets.
As I grew up, Perrier has stuck around, being my favorite. Whenever Shaq Lovin' Grandma and I stopped at a Circle K on our hot drives around Phoenix, she'd always come out with an ice cold Perrier for both of us. When I showed up to visit her at work at night on my way home from a date with my boyfriend in high school, she'd pay for me to take a Perrier home with me. When she came home from work in the morning, if I wasn't already at cheer practice (4:30AM start time..CRAZY!) she'd bring me home a Perrier to take on my walk to school, if it was cold, she'd also bring a hot chocolate. Even now, when I visit Phoenix, she makes sure there is plenty of Perrier for us to share while we chat.
I've tried a lot of sparkling waters, but Perrier is always the best. If you haven't had it, try it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

.jpg)























No comments:
Post a Comment