Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hectic

Diagnosis day has come and gone, but things haven't slowed down since.

Claire saw the pediatrician yesterday for a referral for her official, medical diagnosis so we can start receiving services outside of the primary school.  The appointment didn't exactly go as planned.  I felt as though I was unheard, I was talked over, I was given suggestions that I didn't feel were relevant to what is wrong with my daughter.  I did get the referral though, and came straight home to make the appointment.

However, this also went awry.  Children't Hospital and Clinics of Minneapolis is no longer accepting patients because their waiting list, as well as their reserve cancellation list, are 3 months long.  I was given numbers for several other locations.  I called my insurance to check if these providers were in network.  Three of them were.  I called, and was transferred to voicemail after voicemail after voicemail.  At this point, I'm feeling a little lost, a little stressed out and a lot really not sure what to do, where to go, or how to help her from here.

I've put some of my knowledge working for the Wisconsin Early Autism Project to use.  I've made file folder games.  I've tried teaching her the limited sign language I know.  I sing her songs that she tries to echo.  When she reaches for something, I say the name of it at least twice so she knows it has a label.  And, I make it my mission for her to look at me.

Every day I wake up though, ready to take this on.  Early intervention is key.  With the right tools, we can take this on, together.

1 comment:

Tracie Nall said...

Being stuck in a round of voicemails is frustrating on a good day - and I'm sure even more so when you are trying to get help for your child.

I'm sorry your appointment didn't go well.

Swidget 1.0

Related Posts with Thumbnails